Tuesday, December 27, 2005

2005 in review: Meth

Although it may not seem to be one of the big issues of the year to many of my readers, I rank the meth problem (and the GOP lead fight against it) as my #5 story of the year.

Meth has destroyed many communities and families and it will be a big issue in the 2006 elections, especially in Greater Minnesota.

I have selected a few clips from my posts on the subject of meth legislation and the fight against meth.

##
It was Sen. Julie Rosen, R-Fairmont, who spearheaded the push to restrict the sale of pseudophedrine and call for tougher penalties for those who sell or manufacture meth. (Source: Star Tribune, July 25, 2005)
##

An anti-meth provision for which
Gov. Pawlenty fought hard helps to decrease meth production

##
A new law designed to make methamphetamine ingredients harder to obtain is cutting into production of the illegal drug in the state, a state expert said Tuesday. (Source: KSTP, Nov. 2, 2005)
##

Rep. Kennedy has taken up the charge against meth at the federal level.
##
Some in Congress say that the U.S. needs to put pressure on Mexico to put a dent in meth production. "We need to have the same energy going after shutting down the importing of meth from Mexico and other countries as we have going after the cold pills," said Rep. Mark Kennedy (R-Minn). "In fact, we have to have greater energy because it's a greater source of supply." (Source: Join Together)
##

And
##
The U.S. House of Representatives today passed two bi-partisan amendments sponsored by Congressman Mark Kennedy, to penalize countries that don't fully cooperate with our efforts to stop high volumes of "superlab" material into or out of the United States. The Kennedy/ Hooley/ Osborne/ Souder Amendment passed by a vote of 423 to 2. The Hooley/ Souder/ Kennedy Amendment passed by a vote 424 to 1.

"Meth is one of the most serious problems facing our communities," said Congressman Kennedy. "In Minnesota, as in other states, law enforcement spends roughly 80 percent of its time fighting 20 percent of the meth, in small meth labs. But they lack the resources they need to reach the other 80 percent- international superlabs."

"That's why I'm pleased that the House agreed to my amendments today," said Congressman Kennedy. "It's important to identify those who don't help us stop dangerous meth-making material from flowing into or out of the United States, and strip them of foreign assistance as a consequence."
(Source: Mark Kennedy Press Release, July 19, 2005)
##

2 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Kevin from Minneapolis said...

Right on. Hard core drug users even say meth is the devil.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Republican Minnesota said...

yeah, its bad. I've seen too many people got trapped in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home